10 Rules To Being the Perfect Temporary Local
The word tourist doesn’t exist in our playbook. True travel, experiencing a place for exactly what it is – is a state of mind. Dive in and go with the local flow – no matter where you are.
- Travel less – stay longer. Plan to stay at least two weekends to truly feel the place and vibes.
- Embark on an intimate discovery of who is doing what in the nooks and crannies, alleys, and lesser known spots. Question a curiously long line on the street or ingredients you have never seen. Seek out artists’ studios, galleries, workshops and retreats that speak to an authentic sense of place.
- Consume local. Support regional makers and brands as much as possible.
- Dress local – tap into the style, boutiques, trends and traditions.
- Celebrate the local cuisine and dare to explore unexpected flavors that are out of your comfort zone.
- Let your legs lead the way and take you to all the beautiful corners of town. Get lost while walking about and witness the small details up close and personally.
- Party where the locals let loose.
- Learn to say at least seven more words along with Hello, Good-Bye and Thank You in the local language.
- Track down the local wellness spots and make sure to relax where and when the locals do.
- On your way back home, take stock of the true local friends you’ve met and made. Cherish your amazing memories together and set the wheels in motion for future trips.